Dr. Akagi / Cyclo

Bodo Sch=%ISO-8859-1?Q?=f6nfelder?= schoenfelder
Fri Aug 28 21:01:59 EDT 1998

>I believe Scent and Cyclo were shot in Vietnamese, despite being French
>productions. Director Tran Anh Hung and the Vietnamese cast speak
>Vietnamese as their 1st language, and most probably French as their 2nd
>(most Vietnamese my brother's generation and older are all bilingual in
>Vietnamese and French; a look at all the VPop coming out of Orange County
>shows that most songs are bilingual). Why bother shooting in French? As an
>exile, I think his intent was to make a Vietnamese film. Also, Cyclo was
>shot in Sai Gon, so why speak French there? Colonial nostalgia? I think
>not.
>	I believe Tony Leung Chiu-Wai spoke his lines in Vietnamese,
>having been coached. I could tell he was not a native speaker; the accent
>was that noticeable. Interesting, considering how alike Cantonese and
>Vietnamese can be (at least when it comes to Chinese kango words). Not
>that he had many lines anyways...-Hao
>
>"Nan keu'nyang dwe'neun dwe'neun de'ro sal'ass'eossji ganseob batgi
>silh'eo" - Yoo Sueng Jun Steve's "Na na na", Korea's current #1 hit song
><A
>HREF="http://www.intermusic.co.kr/koreanradio/wav/seungjoon2_nanana.wav">
>Na Na Na</A>or <A
>HREF="http://www.iWorld.net/COOL/Gayo/play1.cgi?NO=329">Real
>Audio</A>or <A HREF="http://www.mnet27.co.kr/ram/??????.ram">see
>the video</A><BR>
>Fight the Future - The X-Files Movie, June 19, 1998
>Felicitations a l'equipe de la France - le vainqueur de la coupe mondial
>1998, le jeu beau
>
>Hao Anh Le, BA '95, MA '98					   SCTI '94
>Escondido Village 135D or	97-8 EV RCC for Blackwelder, Hoskins,
>PO Box 15055			Hoskins-cluster, Bldgs 139-144
>Stanford, CA 94309-503                   650-497-9130
>http://www.stanford.edu/~hal          http://www.stanford.edu/group/newtype

At least the interiors of Scent were shot in a studio in France. The published reasons were better control of technical studio facilities to adapt to the esthetic notions of the director and control of film stock development. A third reason was the legal situation of public funding. At least part of the money has to be spent in the country, which is resposible for the funding.

Bodo Schoenfelder