Nemureru mori (E+J)

Aaron Gerow gerow
Thu Dec 24 21:37:34 EST 1998

Perhaps a light TV discussion topic for the holiday:

The last episode of _Nemureru mori_, the most popular drama in the fall
season (it is even beating out the NHK asaren), was broadcast last night
to what will probably be huge ratings.  The ending, though, was kind of
odd.  Not one of those shocking endings, but rather a puzzler.  I don't
want to get into the story (I didn't watch half of the episodes), but
Nakayama Miho, whose fiancee durned out to be the murderer of her sister
15 years before, goes to sleep in a hammock in the forest (a scene used
in the opening credits).  Kimura Takuya, who is her half-brother, is
going by train to meet her.  In the voice over of his letter to her, we
hear a refrain of the motif of Sleeping Beauty: the prince who is there
when Sleeping Beauty wakes up.  Despite being related, Kimutaku declares
in the letter he will be there when she wakes up and that he will stay
with her forever (shades of incest).  However, after talking to a girl on
the train who looks exactly like Nakayama's character 15 years ago, he
falls asleep and misses the stop.  We get a closeup of a tear falling
from his closed eye.  THE END.

Kind of anti-climactic, but sure to cause a lot of discussion among
viewers.  Is Kimutaku just asleep, or did something else happen?  Why end
it this way?  What was it "supposed" to mean?  Any comments from those
who saw it?

?????????????????????????????????????
????????

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html