Korea's Protect Screen Quota Day

Michael Raine michael-raine
Wed Dec 2 02:48:02 EST 1998

Just a quick response to an extremely complex question (the "need" for
domestic film protection etc): we also have to factor in foreign exchange
controls that US studios complained about in the late 1950s. I hope that
someone some day explores the cartel-like structure of the Japanese film
industry -- the relations between vertically integrated studios that were
also heavily involved in the distribution of foreign film. Someone once
told me that the exhibition chains still get together and decide in what
order to release US films. It's called the "Nihon eiga (nantoka) kankyo
kai" or something: has anyone heard of this?

Michael