Sento (was Kawase)

Aaron Gerow ryuu000
Mon Feb 2 03:31:19 EST 1998

Mark,

Thanks a lot for posting the Sento interview.

I did, however, find a mistake which, if you still have the time, might
want to correct.

>A: My documentary Tsutsumarete was shown at the 1992 Image Forum Festival.

The correct title is:

Ni tsutsumarete

In English:

Embracing

>Q:  Young filmmakers appear to be going into two different directions.
>Some, such as Shunji Iwai and Shinji Aoyama, are making films that seem to
>be influenced by MTV, that place more emphasis on style than substance,
>while others such as Nobuhiro Suwa, Hidekazu Kore'eda and you, are making
>quieter, more contemplative films that place more stress on human
>relationships. Do you see yourself as belonging to any group?

Not a correction, but do you really think Aoyama is influenced by MTV and
that his film are more style than substance?  I never posed the question
to him myself, but in the week I spent with him in the US, I was amazed
at how much he knows just about movies.  He's seen far more than I've
ever seen.  He cited his main influence as American film noir, which I
think really comes out in Wild Life.  I also am hesitant to put him in
the same category as Iwai, whom I do not think knows as much about movie
history.  As for style versus substance, one can argue about that, but if
you read Aoyama's interviews, he is one of the few very philosophical
young directors around.  It's his Hasumi training.

Aaron Gerow
YNU