KJ awards, Miyazaki

Bill Thompson SISWT
Wed Feb 4 11:09:22 EST 1998

Thanks, Aaron and Mark, for the Japanese awards postings.
Although most of us tend to discount such lists, I'm curious
which Japanese films you and other Kine-Japan writers included in your
top 10, and why.  Sometimes inclusions and omissions can be
quite interesting.

Joseph_C_SCHAUB at umail.umd.edu (js326) wrote:

>Thanks for posting the Kinejun Top 10, Aaron.  Actually I was a little
>surprised to see MONONOKE HIME in the number 2 spot.  Is it unusual foran
>anime to receive that kind of critical praise?                         ilm
>
>Joe

Actually, Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro finished #1 (!!) in the Kinema
Jumpo poll in 1988, and several of his other films, including
Warriors of the Wind (1984) and Laputa (1986), were also among
the KJ top 10.

One can find KJ top 10 lists from 1926 - 1994 in English
in Stuart Galbraith IV's  The Japanese Filmography 1900 through 1994
(McFarland & Company, Inc.).  Since this reference book is quite
expensive and hard to locate, I'd be willing to xerox and mail copies
of the pages listing these winners (send email to me with a mailing
address); I doubt that this information is online anywhere.

Perhaps someone could post KJ top 10's from 1995 (the Japanese
title is fine for me) so those of us who use this source can update our
records.  Thanks.

Bill Thompson
siswt at cuvmc.ais.columbia.edu