Kenji Misumi + Raizo Ichikawa

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Sat Feb 14 22:59:50 EST 1998

 Martin Beck asked,

>I'm looking for the title of a film directed by Kenji Misumi. It was
>produced in
>1964, is in black and white and stars Raizo Ichikawa. The story is set in
>modern
>day Japan and plays at a fencing school. The producer is Daei.

It's probably _Ken_.  It co-stars Fuji Yukiko and Kawazu Yusuke and is
based on a Mishima Yukiko story.  I'm afraid I don't know the English
title off-hand.

>In addition I want to recommend a film I have seen recently. It's called
>"Kokkuri" and is about 3 girls who are somewhat fascinated with death. After
>calling upon the spirit "Kokkuri" they are told that one of them will die
>very
>soon. This incident causes a split between the girls, followed by a
>disturbing
>descent towards madness and, well, death. It's a very slow moving film but
>nevertheless very gripping and powerful. Definitely worth a look. The
>director is Takahisa Zeze, the lead actress is Ayumi Yamatsu.

I reviewed the film for _Eiga geijutsu_ and liked it quite a lot, though
it did not reach the level of some of his other work.  It was Zeze's
first non-pink film, but did not do well at the box office and was in
general considered a disappointment by the critics.

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html