Self Introduction

Joseph Murphy jamurphy
Fri Feb 27 16:24:33 EST 1998

>> J.M.
>
>I was there on JET as a CIR (Coordinator of International Relations) for
>a small town just outside of Yonago for 2 1/2 years.  The job (resident
>gaijin, expert on all things foriegn, walking photo opportunity) was
>alright, but the friends I made there are some of my closest and I fell
>in love with the region.  Have you been in San'in?
>
>Lori H.

Yes.  I actually spent a good bit of time there in a town called Hino,
doing some research on, amazingly enough, literary monuments (that's sort
of like admitting you are a stamp collector).  It is very beautiful, but a
little sad.  It's way up in the mountains, no department stores or
Seven-Eleven's, and the young people seemed not to be sticking around.
This was 1996, and I got to know a number of people there well (they live
around the monuments).

J.M