Yasuzo Masamura

Christopher & Jennifer Beckett sanjuro at kw.igs.net
Sun Jan 18 22:35:14 EST 1998

Hi there -

Just wanted to let Japanese cinema fans in Southern Ontario know that
Toronto's Cinematheque is running a retrospective of the director Yasuzo
Masamura from February 13th through 28th. Check out
http://www.bell.ca/filmfest/cinematheque/masumura.htm for details.

Now, here's my problem. I am only familiar with Masamura in passing, but
would very much like to acquaint myself with his films. Those of you who
know his work, which of the following films would you consider the
"essentials"? I live 2 hours from Toronto, so when I do make the journey
in, I'd like to see what you would consider the best.  Here are the films
to choose from -

GIANTS AND TOYS (KYOJIN TO GANGU)

              THE BLACK TEST CAR (KURO NO TESUTO KAA)

              A WIFE CONFESSES (TSUMA WA KOKUHAKU SURU)

              THOUSAND CRANES (SENBA-ZURU)

              WARM CURRENT (DANRYU)

              A FALSE STUDENT (NISE DAIGAKUSEI)

              MANJI (SWASTIKA)

              PLAY (ASOBI)

              WAREHOUSE (MOHJU)

              KISSES (KUCHIZUKE)

              THE PRECIPICE (HYOHEKI)

              AFRAID TO DIE (KARAKKAZE YARO)

              RED ANGEL (AKAI TENSHI)

              THE WIFE OF SEISHU HANAOKA (HANAOKA SEISHU NO
              TSUMA)

              SEISAKU'S WIFE (SEISAKU NO TSUMA)

Feel free to respond to my private mail or, if you think it would make for
interesting discussion, to the list.

Thanks in advance!
Christopher