Shochiku coup

Aaron Gerow ryuu000 at ipch.ynu.ac.jp
Wed Jan 21 00:53:32 EST 1998

The Shochiku shake-up was front page news in most of the sports papers.
Headlines blazed:

SHOCHIKU COUP D'ETAT!

and featured huge photos of a flustered Okuyama Kazuyoshi.

Thanks to Mark for giving us some inside info.  I was sad to hear
confirmation that Cinema Japanesque will be the hardest hit in the
aftermath.  While there were problems with the project (the biggest being
a lack of identity, releasing completely different films like  _Cure_ and
_OL chushingura_ under the same banner), it was an interesting experiment
in: 1) diversifying the majors' production (which is the trend in
Hollywood); 2) freeing up the monolithic releasing system; and 3) giving
some good directors some extra projects.

>From what I read in the papers, the coup was basically the end of a long
struggle between Chairman Nagayama and President Okuyama, with the former
supporting the old-style, Ofuna-cho family melodramas typified by Yamada
Yoji and the latter, especially through his son, an effort to bring
production up-to-date.  The conflict took place on other levels as well,
but this seems to be the one on the level of production philosophy.  One
paper thus explicitly said this was a victory for Yamada Yoji and cited
the fact that he has several films scheduled for this year as a early
indication that this would happen.  In the press conference, Otani did
explicity say that they intend to "revive" Shochiku tradition and go back
to their roots in the Ofuna-cho.  Does this mean just more Yamada Yoji
and Tora-san clones?

I'd like to hear what others think of this, but this all seems rather
reactionary, short-sighted and not very promising for the future of
Japanese cinema.  I like Ofuna-cho as much as anyone, but I don't like to
see it reduced to the bland, empty drivel that Yamada has been producing
of late.  Tora-san was a hit, but given that _Niji o tsukamu otoko_ is
not, I wonder if it even makes good economic sense to go back to a style
that has clearly seen its days and has very little attraction for anyone
but the older audiences.  Even in the Japanese market, diversification
seems to be a necessity, but Shochiku seems to want to go back towards
producing only films that appeal to everyone (as if those exist anymore).
 In addition, the Cinema Japanesque experiment was also an attempt at
reforming what is clearly one of the biggest problems of the film
industry: the distribution system.  Can the new president do anything
about that, or are they just going to rely on what has really supported
Yamada Yoji in the last 10 years: the dubious maeuri (advanced ticket)
system?

Okuyama Kazuyoshi made a lot of bad moves and bad films, even directing
some (the _Ranpo_ fiasco) himself.  He also is famous for his fight with
Takeshi over _Sonatine_, which he hated.  But he at least did bet on
Takeshi as he has done with others.  He has also produced Hou
Hsiao-Hsien's recent films (as has Shochiku--this decision affects Hou as
well).  He was at least trying to do something, which is something I
wonder about the new management at Shochiku.

Still, time will tell.  Lets hope my apprehensions prove mistaken.

Aaron Gerow
YNU

P.S. If they fire anyone, it should have been whoever thought up Kamakura
Cinema World.  Now one I know who has gone there likes it and I found it
embarassingly childish (except for a few sections of Shochiku history).
Who was responsible for that?