Naruse's "Okaasan"

Christopher & Jennifer Beckett sanjuro
Sun Jan 11 13:37:06 EST 1998

>I've seen _Okaasan_ yesterday, but did not notice any of the upside-down
>scenes described in this paragraph, though, having read about them
>beforehand, I was attentively looking. Could it be possible that what I
>saw was a reedited print? (length was 98 min.)

There are certainly prints of _Mother_ in circulation that are missing both
the upside-down scenes and the premature "The End", and it's my guess that
you saw one of these. These scenes are also missing from the only version
of the film available on video in North America, from Sony video's Japan
film collection.

Christopher