Fukuda Katsuhiko

Aaron Gerow ryuu000
Mon Jan 12 20:15:32 EST 1998

I was saddened to see in the papers that the documentary filmmaker,
Fukuda Katsuhiko, whom I only just mentioned in a previous post, died
yesterday (the 12th) of a cerebral hemmorage.  He was 54.

Fukuda joined Ogawa Productions after _Summer in Narita_, starting out as
a projectionist for their touring shows before becoming an assistant
director on most of the Sanrizuka films.  He became so committed to the
Sanrizuka cause that when Ogawa pulled up stakes to go to Yamagata,
Fukuda stayed to film the farmers around the Narita Airport.  He most
famous work, _A Grasscutter's Tale_ ("Kusatori soshi"), was a dedicated
work in 8mm on an old woman farmer.

In recent years, Fukuda has acted the role of educator, teaching at Wako
University and speaking about filmmaking.  I had the pleasure of
translating his (always) insightful writings.  Those who attended either
the Japanese Documentary symposia at the 1995 or 97 Yamagata Film
Festivals will surely remember is intelligent if not brilliant comments.

Frankly, he was also a very nice guy and I wish I had more of an
opportunity to know him.

Aaron Gerow
YNU