Sento (was Kawase)

Junko Tanaka jtanaka
Tue Jan 13 16:12:39 EST 1998

I'm not quite continuing the thread on Mark's comment about
feminism (in fact I think I'm totally off), but here's one concern I've
been having.

At the Kyoto FF last December, there was an international symposium on
jidai-geki. I've acknowledged our fellow member Prof. Kato's presence as a
paneler, and appreciated Davis' informative reports. One thing that
disappointed me, though, was the fact that all the participants (panelers
and a moderator) were male.

Is this because of the lack of female filmmakers/critics (both Japanese
and foreign) who know well enough on Japanese jidai-geki? Or of the notion
that jidai-geki is gendered as male? Or of the lack of sensitivity among
the Kyoto FF? (Perhaps the Yamagata FF, which I was working for, is too
"liberal"!) I've been discussing my concern with others, and have been
criticized as being overreacting, anti-sexist, etc. Maybe I am.

Mark has pointed out Ogawa Production being sexist. That's why I always
send my "Gambatte!" to female filmmakers/critics. And sometimes, as a
Japanese woman, I wonder who I'd like to be like in the future: Kashiko
Kawakita, Etsuko Takano, Chiseko Tanaka, etc. However, they probably are
not "radical" or "militant" enough to be called feminist.

> And in the end, this does show how important education in the film and art
> schools is. Certainly, that's where change will start.
I didn't make much of a point, but I would like to believe in the role and
power of education in the field of film studies and production, as Mark
does.

Junko Tanaka