Retrospective in Boston

TKBowman TKBowman
Thu Jan 22 18:55:37 EST 1998

For those in the Boston/New England area...

 The Boston Museum of Fine Arts is hosting a 16-film retrospective of the films
 of Shohei Imamura. The series, titled "Pigs, Pimps and Pornographers," starts
 tomorrow night (1/23) with "The Insect Woman at 7:45 pm, and continues through
 February 19. Here's the schedule for those interested:

 January 23, 7:45pm  "The Insect Woman"
 January 24, 1:00pm  "Endless Desire"
 January 24, 3:00pm  "Intentions of Murder"
 January 29, 6:10pm  "Stolen Desire"
 January 30, 6:00pm  "Nishi Ginza Station"
 January 30, 7:15pm  "Profound Desire of the Gods"
 January 31, 11:00am  "A History of Post-War Japan as Told by a Bar Hostess"
 January 31, 1:15pm  "Ballad of Narayama"
 February 5, 5:45pm  "My Second Brother"
 February 6, 7:45pm  "Vengeance is Mine"
 February 7, 11:00am  "Karayukisan - The Making of a Prostitute"
 February 7, 12:45pm  "Eijanaika"
 February 12, 7:30pm  "The Pornographers"
 February 13, 6:30pm  "Zegen"
 February 14, 12:45pm  "Pigs and Battleships"
 February 19, 7:45pm  "A Man Vanishes"

 With such a great selection I shouldn't complain... but I'm surpised and
 disappointed that the museum is not showing either "Black Rain" or especially
 "Unagi." The retrospective would have made a perfect time for a mini-premiere.
 Does anyone know if the US rights for "Unagi" ever got picked up?

 The museum is also showing Hiroshi Teshigahara's documentary "Antonio Gaud?"
 numerous times during the first weeks of Febraury, including many of the days
 the Imamura series is running.

 Todd Bowman
 tkbowman at aol.com