Matsui Suisei

Abe-Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Sat May 30 07:40:11 EDT 1998

I have a rather unusual question for Aaron, Joanne, Frako, or anyone else
who has been working on the benshi.

I am putting the finishing touches on an article about subtitles that's
taken forever to work out. It's kind of complicated. But in one section, I
discuss the transition from silent to translated sound film and the role of
the benshi in all of this, something Aaron pointed me to (for which I'm
very grateful).

I did some digging, and discovered that before the development of the
subtitle the benshi were enrolled to translate sound films. They would turn
down the volume, and the benshi would use one of two strategies (according
to Tachibana Takashiro). One camp would translate each spoken line; the
other would offer paraphrases of the plots.

I wonder what kind of relationship this has to the Pure Film Movement. It
seems to me that the line-by-line style is very much in line with the
proposals of the reformers. The paraphrasing option could go either way. I
do know that Matsui Suisei was the champion of the latter; does anyone know
his role in resisting, or going along with, reform?

Markus

PS: The theater he was working at, the Shibazonokan (?), also had "No
Benshi Days" (Musetsumei de-) once a week!