People's Daily on Pride

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Fri May 15 11:38:33 EDT 1998

It was also reported in the papers that the Chinese _People's Daily_ ???
???published an editorial article on the 14th severely criticizing the
production of _Puraido: Unmei no toki_, the Toei-released film that
focuses on Tojo Hideki and the Tokyo war crimes trails.  The film, which
opens on May 23rd, has already sparked criticism inside Japan for
reportedly depicting Tojo favorably.

The Chinese paper declared (translating from the Japanese) that
"fabricating this kind of movie is a threat to the people of Asia and a
challenge against international society."  Entitled "The Beautification
of War Criminals Cannot Be Excused", the article said that "the filming
of _Pride_ is not an accident, but a product of the expansion of
right-wing forces in Japanese society."

While I haven't seen the film, the fact that one of the first previews
was for LDP members and that the print ads basically construct Tojo as a
Japanese Jefferson Smith (the top blurb: "Tojo vs. America: A sole
individual's fight with a nation's pride at stake"; and the "quote" from
Tojo: "I will fight. At this rate, Japan and the Japanese will be
rendered the worst of nations and peoples."), my impression is that the
People's Daily is not too far off the mark.

Anyone (such as Mark) seen the film yet?

Aaron Gerow
YNU