self introduction, etc.

Stephanie Deboer sdeboer
Wed May 27 14:29:04 EDT 1998

Hello.
My semester is finished, and (after weeks of passively enjoying the
discussions on kinejapan) I am finally taking the time to introduce
myself.

My name is Stephanie DeBoer, and I am a graduate student affiliated
with the East Asian and Comparative Literature departments at Indiana
University (Bloomington, USA).  To describe my interests in the broadest
terms possible, I am interested in avant-garde and film criticism as well
as sexuality and gender representations (particularly in the above
category). My initial interest in the (academic) study of film came by way
of Chinese cinema, but I have become more intrigued by the dynamics of
Japanese cinema over the past year and a half or so.  This listserve has
also encouraged this interest--I am so happy to have found it!

My self introduction to all of you is motivated not only by the time I now
(happily!) have on my hands, but also by a question I have regarding
Japanese film criticism.  Its fairly specific, so please feel free to
reply to me directly if you like.  My thanks in advance:

I have done some work on "new sensationalist" (xin ganjue pai) writers, a
"modernist" (even "avant-garde"?) group of Shanghai writers of whom
several also wrote film criticism and produced films in the 1930s.
Supposedly, they were influenced by the short-lived Japanese group of the
same kanji--Shin kankaku-ha.  Yet despite this influence, obviously, I
think their writings have differing styles and implications (what else
would you expect of different cultural contexts?).  I would like to find
out more on the Shin kankaku-ha's critical writings on film, but have had
a difficult time locating reference materials, only finding brief and
general references to this (e.g. their issue on film in _Bungei jidai_,
their general collaboration with Kinugasa Teinosuke, and (only) the
existence of a Shinkankaku-ha film "league").  Would anyone know of any
articles/studies on this topic?  Or could anyone point me in the right
direction toward primary materials on the Shinkankaku-ha and their
involvement with film (and in particular Yokomitsu Riichi or Kawabata?).
This is a broad appeal, I know, but I hope it will encourage a few
Again, my thanks in advance for any help!

On the lighter and more enjoyable side:  I will be in the Nagoya and
Yokohama areas this summer--anyone know of any interesting film programs
(etc) showing??

Many thanks!

Stephanie DeBoer