The End

Bodo Sch=%ISO-8859-1?Q?=f6nfelder?= schoenfelder
Wed May 27 22:17:25 EDT 1998

Dear Melanie,

After a considerable time I read your mail and the responses. The
different ending of Caligari is a complete myth. The ending as we know
it, was already in the first script and never changed. In the silent era
they shot a lot of different endings especially before WW1, to accomodate
to different national tastes, sometimes for political reason. In Russia
sad and melancholic endings, so western producers shot happy endings for
the west and sad for Russia, and vice versa. There is a Gerhard Hauptmann
story Atlantis, which takes place near the polar region, where in one
ending the couple reunites, wheras in the Russian ending the woman dies.
I have seen some others, but can#t remember the titles. now. In the USSR
imported western films were edited with new endings along the line of
proletarian class struggle. In the USA., the silent version of Anna
Karenina with Greta Garbo and John Gilbert (I can't remember the title
now) had two endings, one along the storyline of the book, the other a
more optimistic. Both are saved.
Abschied by Robert Siodmak got a new ending by the UFA for the rerun,
because they thought the original too depressing. There are strong hints
that they shot a new ending for The strange case of uncle Harry by the
same director was shot to change the horrfic story into a bad dream.
G.W. Pabst: The sound release of Die weisse Hoelle von Piz Palue during
the Third Reich got a more nationalistic tone and ending. His Mamoiselle
Docteur about a German spy during WW1 got a new ending after WW2 due to
the general atmosphere and the fact, that the original negative seemed
lost. In the original ending she survives a car wreck ending as a honored
patient in a mental hospital (she had to betray her lover), in the second
she dies in the car wreck. There were two endings in Die geheimnisvolle
Tiefe, shot in Austria after WW1 with Ilse Werner and Paul Hubschmid, a
variation on Piz Palue with a tragic ending where the couple dies in a
cave, a more postive with a rescue in the last moment. The last version
has survived in France.
There is strong evidence, that Veit Harlan shot different endings for Jud
Suess and Kolberg, where alterations were ordered by Goebbels. But
different material doesn't seem to have survived.
Rossellin: Paisa has the last episode cut in Germany not to offend former
soldiers by the killing of partisans. Stromboli has a positive voice over
in the American version. Different endings also in Fear. See Peter
Brunette's book on Rossellini, the forthcoming publication by Tag
Gallagher and many more texts.
Some of the "Godzilla"-films had different endings in Europe due to the
fact of the knowledge of and sympathies to the monsters by the European
audience.
A similar case are the first imported martial arts films from Hong Kong
and Taiwan.
As single films I can remember The invasion of the body snatchers by Don
Siegel, where the producers feared the gruesome ending and oderede a new
beginning and ending, which makes the story into a flashback with a
possible hopeful ending.
Shortly before WW2 Erich von Stroheim acted in a film in France (I can't
remember the title, but I've seen it). He plays an Middle European
refugee, who commits suicide out of fear of the Nazis. After the war a
new ending was shot with some hope for the survivors.
A careful research would reveal a lot more cases than to be expected. The
difficulties are the many myths in film history. But there are some
objective difficulties, besides not knowing every possible film.
Sometimes it is difficult to decide, whether a different ending was only
on paper or dicussed during shooting or just tried out for the editing
table or the previews. Or the case of distributors in different
countries. That there is no film material left doesn't mean, that there
never was something. The condition of saving film are too precarious. And
even the careful research of files, production sheets and other archival
material doesn't lead to a secure judgement in many cases.

Bodo Schoenfelder