Sada

Chris Perrius caperriu
Fri Nov 13 14:29:58 EST 1998

>Hello.  My name is Jonathan Crow  . . .
>Anyway, I was in Taiwan a while back and there I saw a recent film called
>"Sada".  As the name implies, the film was a reworking of the notorious
>Abe Sada story, most famously depicted in "In the Realm of the Sense."
>This film was incredibly self-reflexive and stylized.  Has anyone else
>seen this?  What was the critical reaction in Japan?

I don't know about the reaction in Japan, I'd be interested to hear, but I
saw it at the Chicago International Film Festival and it drew a big crowd
there.  It didn't win any prizes, however.  The Gold Hugo winner was a
Taiwanese film, The Hole (dir. Tsai Ming-liang).

Chris Perrius

Christopher Perrius
Department of English
University of Chicago