Help on "Tattoo-IREZUMI" film by DAEI

Kathleen Jenks jenks7
Wed Nov 18 16:07:44 EST 1998

I finally got a lead to the possible identity of the medieval-looking
film I saw on late night Japanese TV in 1985.  When Stephen Sarrazin
joined the list last week, I contacted him privately to ask about the
film.  Here's a portion of his response:

"...Of course I thought of Tanizaki's novel, Tattoo-IREZUMI, which was
made as a period film, by DAEI, in 1966, and directed by Yasuzo
Masumura. This could be the version you saw...."

When I asked if he had any idea how I might find a video of this, he
wrote:

"Concerning the video, I would think that it's available only in
japanese; Daiei has a vhs collection called 'daei film museum' and it
might be one of their titles. I've never seen it in Europe (I have a
pretty good idea as to what's available on tape in Europe).  Through the
magazine I write for, HK, I can check with Daiei, but it will take a
little while. Unless someone on the list is already in Japan and could
look it up quickly for you (by dropping by at the local Tatsuya)."

Is there by any chance anyone in Japan willing to look this up for me?
I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance,

Kathleen