censorship and the law

silvernyc@earthlink.net silvernyc
Sat Nov 28 19:09:03 EST 1998

Dear Joss:
I'm no expert, but I think there are plenty of things (frontal nudity
included) that will be stopped at the border.   Wasn't there a film on the
Holocaust that had to be cut because of censors at the last Yamagata
festival?

I would think that it might be useful to talk to the Image Forum people in
Tokyo, as they have endless experience showing/importing experimental work.
I remember hearing that they once argued with the customs people that the
pubic hair in a certain film was 'fake' and therefore not covered under the
law, and as customs had no way of proving this....  But maybe I'm making
this up.

Best,
Shelly.

>Hi
>
>Could someone advise me on what I cannot import into Japan.  I'm ordering
>videos from American filmmakers to show at EIGAARTS and I would hate to
>have something seized at customs and be accused of importing indecent
>material.  Is all full frontal nudity considered indecent?
>
>Thanks
>Joss

Shelly Silver
22 Catherine St. #6