Fwd: Hiroshima and Film

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Sun Nov 1 09:04:19 EST 1998

A crosspost from H-Japan.  Maybe someone on KineJapan can help this
person.  Please respond to the original sender with a copy to the list.

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
From: Kevin Heffel <kheffel at emerald.tufts.edu>
Subject: Hiroshima and Film

	I am researching feature and documentary film on the atomic
bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I am still having extraordinary
trouble in finding any VHS copy (if one exists) of _The Effects of the
Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki_, footage filmed a few weeks after
the bombs were dropped in 1945. It was filmed by Nippon Eiga-Sha (The
Nippon Film Company) and a filmmaking team from the U.S. Army. The footage
was classified by Occupation forces until the mid-seventies when it
appeared, without announcement, in the National Archives. I'm hoping that
this footage was released somewhere after it appeared in the Archives and
I'm wondering if anyone knows just where it is. A group of Japanese
purchased the footage from the Archives in the eighties and it has been
used in a few movies (The Day After and Dark Circle) but seeing the
footage itself, uncut, would be wonderful.
	Also, I'm having trouble locating a handful of obscure Japanese
films on the bombings. I was wondering if anyone knew of an archive or a
university which might have an extensive collection of Japanese film.

Thank you,

Kevin C. Heffel