Bay Stars!

Aaron Gerow gerow
Thu Oct 8 21:35:33 EDT 1998

Wow!  The Yokohama Bay Stars (formerly Yokohama Taiyo Whales), the
perennial losers of the Central League, have finally won their first
league championship in 38 years.  As a Yokohama resident, I can only
cheer.

Not really film news, you say?  Well, as a bit of trivia, you might like
to know that the Bay Stars/Whales were, during the 1953-54 seasons, known
as the Taiyo Shochiku Robins after the Taiyo (owned by Maruha) merged
with the Shochiku Robins.  It's not included in most of the histories of
Japanese cinema, but most of the film studios in the 1950s, being
corporate giants in those days with money to burn, owned their own
professional baseball teams.

The most successful was the Toei Flyers, which is now Nippon Ham.  Daiei
(no relation to the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks) owned the Stars (called the
Unions for one year), which changed its name to the Mainichi Daiei Orions
when it merged with the Mainichi Orions (eventually turning into the
Lotte Chiba Marines).  Hankyu, Toei's parent company, owned the Hankyu
Braves, which is now the Orix Blue Wave.  Only Nikkatsu, it seems, did
not get into the baseball business.

So being all good Japanese film fans, we should root for the Bay Stars in
their coming battle against the Seibu Lions who, I must point out, have
no cinematic connection (excepting the fact their mascot is from _Jangaru
Taitei_).

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center