koGALS

Birgit Kellner kellner
Sun Sep 6 11:50:28 EDT 1998

DEF wrote:

> >Sorry, I don't know what "CG" is. Where can I find the bilingual edition?
> >Is "Sabishii kuni no satsujin" a film or a book?

As noone else seems to jump in - it is a book, published in January 1998
by "shinguru katto" (in Katakana; "single cut", I suppose). It contains
images as well as text (Japanese and English). I can only speak from my
memory - I don't have my copy here at the moment -, but my overall and
no doubt simplistic impression was that Murakami applies the notion of
value-gaps to the analysis of "erratic" behaviour of kids in Japan (with
the Kobe murder as a starting-point). Parents and the education-system
perpetuate the mythical value of 'attend a good school, get a good job',
which still comes from a post-war 'catching up with the west'-ideology,
but this is not reality any longer. To the extent that I remember his
analysis, I must admit I found it rather shallow, sort of
"atarimae"-material (i.e. stating the obvious).

--
birgit kellner
department for indian philosophy