Pinku Eiga

Aaron Gerow gerow
Mon Mar 8 23:04:32 EST 1999

>And now for another question.  What exactly is the difference between Pinku
>eiga and Nikku Roman Porno? Is it merely a difference in explicitness or is
>there something more?  Are there any good books on the subject?

There are several ways of looking at this, but strictly speaking, "pinku
eiga" has become the generic term for adult films (though the term
originated around 1963 long after Eirin created its "adult film"
designation, but just at the time when pink film production boomed),
while Nikkatsu Roman Poruno is a brand name for a production series put
out by the Nikkatsu studio starting in 1971.  Roman Poruno can be
considered a sub-genre of pink cinema, though I always remind people to
make clear distinctions between Nikkatsu's production and those of other
producers before and after it.  Nothing not produced by Nikkatsu should
properly be called Roman Poruno.

The best book on Nikkatsu RP is _Kanno no puroguramu pikuchua_ edited by
Yamane Sadao (Firumu Atosha, 1983).  For older pink films, there's Suzuki
Yoshiaki's _Pinku eiga suikoden_ (Puraza Kikaku, 1983), and for more
recent stuff, Fukuma Kenji's _Pinku nuveru vagu_ (Waizu Shuppan, 1996).

Aaron Gerow
YNU