Do Japanese films really stink??

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Fri Mar 26 22:28:15 EST 1999

Re: Paul and Brian's comments.

Whether or not you agree that "Begging for Love" (Ai o Kou Hito),
Japan's official Oscar nomination,  is the best Japanese film of the
year, doesn't really matter.  Even if your Japanese film of choice was
nominated - "HANABI", "Bayside Shakedown" or "Pride" - it wouldn't win
because of the voting system.  My understanding is that Academy voters
are often bidding for (and, of course, against) films they haven't seen,
which means that they'll go for a European film more often than not
which fits into their "Cinema Paradiso" idea of what makes for a good
foreign language film.  (Let's not enter into Jewish conspiracy
theories.)

Perhaps in the past, Japanese films were more fashionable, or seen as
the cutting edge of world cinema.  (Didn't the director of Cannes last
year refer to Japan as an "obscure country"?).  But I can't see any
possibility of Iwai Shunji winning an Oscar, Brian, although he seems to
have run away with audience awards internationally for all of his
features.  (Out of curiosity, I'd love to know who was on the NETPAC
jury in Berlin when "undo" got the prize.  Anybody who's now trashing
Iwai?)

The "serious" international prizes in the festival calendar are given by
juries who actually see all the films in the category that they are
voting for.  But, of course, we all know how political they are.
Looking through the list of previous winners at Berlin, its interesting
to note how many times Asian films SHARED the Golden Bear.  I do get the
impression that 1997 was THE fashionable year to give Asian films awards
and as such I'm guessing no major prizes will be given out at Cannes or
Venice for Asian films this year, although Kitano will probably get best
director as a token gesture.

Just looking through the Kinema Junpo poll of 1998, I was shocked to
find no bids for "PERFECT BLUE" (which, of course, made Mark Schilling's
top ten).  But also interesting was that Toyoda's "PORNOSTAR", my
favourite feature debut on release last year, just got two votes: both
from women.  But probably no point analysing the Kinema Junpo poll too
much...

Comments?

Stephen Cremin

PS: Thanks for all the advice on Asano.

I still can't decide whether to show "Acri" or "Nejishiki".  (Latter
would probably work very effectively with a live voiceover, given the
amount of "narration".)  The reason I'm showing "Fried Dragon Fish" and
not Asano's other TV work is that I have a subtitled print in London on
loan from Rockwell Eyes.  And I do think it was a very important work
for establishing Asano's image.  Although, it would be great to run a TV
series during a film festival, I really don't think an audience would
come, however attractive the subject matter: "NIGHT HEAD", "Odoru...",
etc.

For any other festival directors out there who are curious about the
current responsiveness of Japanese sales agents: everyone has been
fantastic.  Sakano at Kawakita has also been great.  (If Unijapan have
relocated, I'd appreciate the new contact details, or Fumiko's email
address, just to keep her posted.)