Shishido Jo and Nikkatsu Action in the World (E+J)

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow at angel.ne.jp
Tue Nov 16 08:24:46 EST 1999

NIKKATSU ACTION IN WORLD FILM HISTORY
世界映画史の中の日活アクション

This Saturday, November 11, the Arts Department of Meiji Gakuin
University will be holding symposium on the place of Nikkatsu Action in
world film history featuring a screening of the action masterpiece, _A
Colt Is My Passport_ (Nomura Takashi, 1967), and a discussion in Japanese
between the film's star, Shishido Jo, and the film scholars Yomota
Inuhiko and Aaron Gerow.  With film studies both inside Japan and abroad
still not fully considering the importance of Nikkatsu Action in Japanese
film history, the discussion will focus not only on Shishido Jo's unique
presence as "self-critical" presence in these films, but on the
relationships between Nikkatsu Action and foreign cinema, particularly
film noir, the Western, and the New Wave.

The event is free and all are welcome.

Time:

14:00     _A Colt Is My Passport_ (Nomura Takashi, 1967) (on video)
          『拳銃(コルト)は俺のパスポート』(野村孝、1967年)ビデオによる
上映

16:00     Interview discussion with Shishido Jo (Yomota Inuhiko and Aaron
Gerow)
          宍戸錠氏 講演とインタビュー(四方田犬彦とアーロン・ジェロー)

Place:
          Meiji Gakuin Shirogane Campus, Room 2302
          明治学院白金校舎2302番教室

The Shirogane Campus is a five minute walk from the Takanawa Station on
the Toei Asakusa Line.  A bus from Meguro Station (heading for Shinagawa
and the Keibajo) also stops in front of the campus.

Contact: Department of Art 03-5421-5380