hi

Kathryn Millard kmillard at scmp.mq.edu.au
Mon Nov 22 19:49:33 EST 1999

I have just hoined kinejapan and would like to introduce myself. I am a
screenwriter and director and teach screenwriting and film/video
production at Macquarie University in Sydney. My films to date include
arts documentaries and a feature film.

I have a longstanding interest in Japanese film and culture and
currently have a screenplay in progress "Nine Shades of Shadow",
concerning the lives of Japanese charcaters resident in Sydney.

I am also in the early stages of researching and writing a book about
Chaplin's visit to Japan in the 1930's. Consequently, I am particularly
interested in Japanese cineam of this era, the response to Chaplin's
films in Japan, the benshi narrators who interpreted his work, the
Chaplin imperso0nators of the era and the background and life story of
Kono.

Asd a filmmaker, I have found much Japanese cineam inspirational; from
the work of Ozu through to 'Shall We Dance" and 'Afterlife".

I look forward to following and contributing to the discussion in
kinejapan.

Regards, Kathryn