Japanese Films at Toronto

TKBowman@aol.com TKBowman
Thu Sep 2 09:17:49 EDT 1999

> Finally, when the Toronto programme is announced later this week,
> can someone at least post the Japanese films to the list?

I just got my catalog yesterday. Here are the Japanese films for this year's
festival:

ADRENALINE DRIVE (dir.Shinobu Yaguchi)

DANCING WITH HYDRA (short, dir. Takuji Suzuki)
aka "Hidora to Odoro"

GAMERA 3: REVENGE OF IRIS (dir. Shusuke Keneko)
aka "Gamera 3: Jashain Kakusei"

GEMINI (dir. Shinya Tsukamoto)
aka "Soseiji"

JAM SESSION (dir. Makoto Shinozaki)
aka "Jam Session: Kikujiro No Natsu Koshiki Kaizokuban"

KIKUJIRO (dir. Takeshi Kitano)

M/OTHER (dir. Nobuhiro Suwa)

MOONLIGHT WHISPERS (dir. Akihito Shiota)
aka "Gekko no Sasayaki"

ONE PIECE! (dir. Shinobu Yaguchi &Takuji Suzuki)

PRINCESS MONONOKE (dir. Hayao Miyazaki)
[dubbed version]

YOJIMBO (dir. Akira Kurosawa)
[part of the Dialogues series, presented by Lawrence Kasden]

Director Spotlight: Kiyoshi Kurosawa

BARREN ILLUSION (1999, dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

CHARISMA (1999, dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

CURE (1997, dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
aka "Kyua"

EXCITEMENT OF THE DO-RE-MI-FA GIRL (1985, dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
aka "Do-Re-Mi-Fa Musume No Chi Wa Sawagu"

EYES OF THE SPIDER (1997, dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
aka "Kumo No Hitami"

LICENSE TO LIVE (1999, dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
aka "Ningen Gokaku"

SERPENT'S PATH (1997, dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
aka "Hebi No Michi"

Co-productions:

Japan/Hong Kong
AWAY WITH WORDS (dir. Christopher Doyle)

Japan/China/France
EMPEROR AND THE ASSASSIN (dir. Chen Kaige)

Japan/Hong Kong
TEMPTING HEART (dir. Sylvia Chang)

For the second year in a row Japan has by far the largest representation of
films from any Asian country. I've already turned in my initial selections
for this year but I always appreciate any raves, recommendations, and/or
warnings. There's always a fair amount of schedule juggling once the festival
gets under way.

Todd Bowman
tkbowman at aol.com