The Ring

John Dougill dougill
Tue Sep 21 01:02:11 EDT 1999

The standard theory for cycles of horror movies is that they occur in terms
of unease and uncertainty, such as during economic depressions.  Japan is
of course going through very shaky times now in terms of restructuring,
unemployment and the end of past certainties, so this may well give rise in
the national psyche to dark nightmare feelings such are given outlet in
Ring, Rasen etc.

On the other hand, we have good times in the US and an equal vogue for
horror in such recent hits as Scream, I Know What You Did...,. Blairwitch,
Sixth Sense, Stigmata, Stir of Echoes.  Some critics have tied this in with
millennium anxiety and the rise in the number of survivalists heading for
the woods and stocking up for social breakdown.

Another thought that has occurred to me is the social pressures in modern
society that have led to greater teenage angst and disorientation,
resulting in the school killings in the US and the outbreak of youth
violence in Japan.  Horror movies seem to appeal particularly to the young,
and perhaps because they're growing up quicker these days, the transition
to adulthood is more intensified and the traumas greater.

Anyone with other ideas?

Regards
JD
Kyoto