Ozu title changes

Lucy Lower lower at hawaii.edu
Thu Aug 31 17:26:45 EDT 2000

Not only are there the Boy's Day fish kites, there is an uguisu calling in
early shots (seasonal reference to April and May, and this is in Kita
Kamakura, famous for its nightengales).  "Barley Autumn" (mugi aki)
indicates not autumn but barley-harvesting season, which is early summer.
In the closing shots of the old uncle's village we see fields of barley
(heads pointing up, not drooping as rice would be).  The season, as in so
many of Ozu's late films, is a metaphor for a stage of human life; Noriko
is 26, at the end of her youth/spring, and moving into the fullness of her
womanhood/summer, signified by her marriage (with the substitute marriage
procession wending its way through the fields of barley).  Barley is also
linked to her attachment to her dead brother Shoji, of course, and through
him to Yabe, and maybe in its homely qualities to her new life in the
remote north.

Lucy