genre question

Anne McKnight akmck
Wed Aug 30 15:45:18 EDT 2000

I'm baffled by the distinction between "tsuuzoku" films and "fuuzoku"
films--and wonder if anyone has an idea of what distinguishes them.
Both, from what I've picked up, imply popular studio films, narrative,
which are very "to-the-moment" in terms of relating a sensibility,
street life, or material culture.

Does tsuuzoku refer to the audience (popular) whereas fuuzoku refers to
the stuff in the world of the film (whatever elements of period realism
would be present, like costumes, dialogue, plot, etc.)?  Is there a
periodic specificity to the distinction between the terms?

Thanks for any clarification/speculation.

Anne