English-subbed films

Randy Man ranman at csf.edu
Thu Mar 2 12:37:13 EST 2000

A follow-up to Dennis Doros' reply back on Feb. 14th.:

I agree entirely that it would be pointless to include any Japanese-language
laserdiscs. In fact the last time I searched the Ken Crane's website there
weren't any listed.
I would strongly caution, however, against using the Facets website as a
sole source without first checking their titles against Amazon.com. Facets
has a bad habit of (1) not listing their sources, and (2) buying from
purveyors of extremely poor quality tapes like Foothills video and New York
Video Annex. Amazon.com can give you the source. Many of the video companies
that have Japanese films , like New Yorker, don't have online catalogues.
For that matter, neither does Movies Unlimited (which also doesn't list the
source in their print catalog, which is one reason I don't buy from them
anymore).
Another thing to include is Japanese titles that are forthcoming on both VHS
and DVD.
I would be quite willing to proof the video list since I deal with video
orders and sources constantly. Let me know if I can help.

Randolph Man
College of Santa Fe
Moving Image Arts Dept.
ranman at csf.edu