More questions. "Dan Oniroku" ? Who or what????

Roland Domenig roland.domenig at univie.ac.at
Tue Nov 7 17:14:24 EST 2000

Jasper, its good to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Japan.

To your questions:

1. LOVE CINEMA is a series of 6 films produced by CineRocket. All films are
shot on digital video and feature a story about a young girl. 3 films of the
series, Hiroki Ryuichi's 'Tokyo gomi onna', Mihara Mitsuhiro's 'Eri ni
kubittake' and Yukisada Isao's 'Tojiru hi' are completed and have been
released, the remaining 3, Shinohara Tetsuo's 'Harikomi', Shiota Akihiko's
'Gipusu' and a yet untitled film of Miike Takashi are to follow next year.
There are plans to continue the series with 6 more films.

2. As Pete already mentioned, Dan Oniroku is probably the most famous writer
of S/M and fetish novels in Japan.
He was born 1931 in Shiga-prefecture as the son of an owner of a cinema.
After the war and still in high-school he wanted to become an opera-singer
but failed and turned to the theatre, writing scripts and appearing as
actor. While attending university he worked with several theatre-groups as
actor and singer. After graduation he went to Tokyo and began working for
the movie magazine 'Star Story'. He quit very soon, however, because
translating gossip about movie stars from American magazines didn't satisfy
him. He again turned to writing and in 1956 published his first novel in the
magazine 'Kidan kurabu'. Besides writing S/M novels he worked as English
teacher, briefly for Television and in 1969 set up the pink eiga production
company Oni Puro as well as a theatre group. In 1972 Oni Puro stopped its
production and Dan began his cooperation with Nikkatsu. Nikkatsu produced 3
dozen Roman Poruno based on his novels among them the Dan Oniroku-series
with Tani Naomi. Dan himself directed a pink eiga in 1971 (Nikuchigoku) and
had guest appearances in some other films.
In 1989 he announced to resign as a writer and bought the magazine 'Shogi
Journal' (dedicated to the Japanese chess-play). The magazine, however, was
a financial failure and went bankrupt in 1994. Dan Oniroku resumed his
career as a writer and published some best-selling books. Recently he also
published a photo-book featuring Aizome Kyoko, the former star of Takechi
Tetsuji's remakes of his own legendary 'Hakujitsumu'.

Roland Domenig
Institute for Japanese Studies
University of Vienna