Thoughts on The Ring DVD

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp
Wed Apr 4 08:04:57 EDT 2001

I just picked up the new UK DVD release of Hideo Nakata?s the Ring the other
day and thought I?d share my thoughts with the rest of you. I?d seen the
film about a year ago and wasn?t quite as gung-ho about it as others have
been, but figured that if the sales figures for this Tartan release were
high enough then it would encourage further similar releases from the
company (In fact I believe that RING 2, AUDITION, and BATTLE ROYALE are also
planned for later in the year.)
Without getting bogged down with the merits of any of these individual films
(save a quick aside that I?m frankly amazed at all of the negative press
BATTLE ROYALE is getting- Within its intended market it is a very effective
film and certainly kept audiences at Rotterdam on their toes. I was frankly
amazed at Tony Rayns? blanket dismissal of it within Sight and Sound the
other month ? it is not aimed at the art-house crowd!)
Sorry, without getting too bogged down with the merits of any of these
individual films, I would like to hear what anyone thought of the appalling
job Tartan have done with regards to the quality of the transfer and the
overall packaging of this title.
Now I?m usually not particularly bothered with issues such as transfer
quality, figuring that as DVD is ultimately such far better quality than VHS
it would be churlish to complain. However the sort of target audience for
this type of film, horror fans, ARE the sort of people who balk if 2 seconds
of their favourite film is missing, and word on the street for this
particular release has been unanimously negative. For a start, the print is
so poorly mastered that the picture quality is too dark to make out what is
going on for a vast proportion of the time. Secondly there?s the problem of
the non-removable subtitles, obviously burnt into the print from which the
DVD was taken, and finally there?s the rather spars ?extras? listed on the
packaging ? two trailers for THE RING, one for AUDITION and a rather
uninformative (or rather uninformed) ?review? by Mark Kermode, a fine film
writer in his own right, but no expert on either Japanese cinema or horror.
Compare this with the liner notes on the recent range of Pagan releases, for
example, or Image Entertainment?s recent releases of the two Wakamatsu
films, Female Convict Scorpion and Black Tight Killers.
As a distributor, Tartan have done a sterling job in making available a
great deal of foreign language films in Britain, both theatrically and on
video. Their input into the cinematic cultural climate in the UK throughout
the past decade has been essential: Alongside Artificial Eye and ICA
Projects they are the only company who have consistently been putting
subtitled films out into the British market. However, with this particular
release they seem to have little understanding or time for the target
audience of this particular product.
As far as bringing Japanese cinema to a wider audience goes, THE RING is
somewhat of a flagship release for them in the UK, and by extrapolation also
in Europe (and in the US too as this won?t be getting a DVD release on the
other side of the pond now that Hollywood own the remake rights). Film is
now such a global market that Tartan can expect a great deal of sales from
outside of the UK (I for example, bought mine in a high street shop in
Amsterdam).
If people buy this product and are put off by the shoddy approach to
marketing it that I have mentioned, they will not buy further releases from
the company and will go to another source for it. I have therefore ordered
my DVD of AUDITION from Hong Kong (a cheaper option, might I add) in
anticipation of a similar treatment for Tartan?s release later in the year.
I have noticed that Tartan do not have their own website, so whether they
are aware of all the negative comments flying around about this recent
release. I can only hope they will learn by the time of their next batch of
releases.