Atsuta Yuharu

jonah horwitz jhorwitz at mail.wesleyan.edu
Wed Aug 8 17:01:05 EDT 2001

I watched Wim Wenders's "Tokyo-Ga" this weekend, and although I had mixed
feelings about the film as a whole, I was very impressed with the amount
of time given over to the recollections of Ozu's longtime cinematographer
Atsuta Yuharu.  Atsuta went into some detail regarding the director's
working habits and personality.  What struck me most about Atsuta (as well
as with Ryu Chishu, also interviewed in the film) was how extraordinarily
self-effacing he was.  I was very moved by the depth of respect and
admiration he showed for Ozu.

Is Atsuta still alive?  Does anyone know of an article which includes more
of his recollections of working with Ozu?

I have an unrelated, somewhat off-topic, question as well.  Does anyone
know of a good beginning Japanese course in Chicago?

Jonah