Mizoguchi's Aienkyo

Suzuki, Marie marie_suzuki
Mon Aug 13 17:56:01 EDT 2001

Several years ago, I also tried to buy a print of the film for
the Japan Foundation's film library.  However, as Bill guessed,
the rights situation was complicated, and the negative needed
some restoration work.  At the time we gave up due to lack of
budget.

I agree that the limited number of existing prints makes it
difficult to show the film widely, and that's one of the major
reasons why the film is less discussed.

Marie Suzuki
The Japan Foundation New York

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Thompson [mailto:siswt at CUVMC.AIS.COLUMBIA.EDU]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 6:39 PM
To: KineJapan
Subject: Re: Mizoguchi's Aienkyo

Joanne, David, KineJapan,

Nearly two decades ago the Japan Society in New York presented
a nearly complete retrospective of surviving Mizoguchi works.
If I recall correctly, at that time I asked and was told that
only one existant Mizoguchi film was not included.  Probably
it was Aienkyo ("Straits of Love and Hope").  The reason
for its exclusion involved complications concerning the person
who held the rights at that time -- he may have wanted
too much money and/or special treatment for the film;
possibly he wanted someone to pay for a new print.
Perhaps Peter Grilli, who was in charge of the Japan Society's
Japan Film Center at that time, might have more knowledge.

This may begin to explain why Aienkyo is less prominent
in the Mizoguchi canon.

Bill Thompson