Donald Richie

Roland Domenig roland.domenig
Tue Dec 4 17:57:36 EST 2001

War Games is a 20-minute long film about the rites of death. A group of boys
is playing on a beach where the find a goat. First they play with the goat
but very soon their play becomes aggressive and they begin torturing the
goat. They finally kill the goat and ritually bury it. It is a beautifully
shot metaphorical film about rituals and certainly one of Richie's most
important films.

It was shown in March at the big Donald Richie retrospective in Tokyo that
was organised by Image Forum and that was repeated in October in Kobe and
Osaka. The Japan Culture Center in Cologne hosted a similar retrospective in
1997.

Image Forum will release a Donald Richie video edition very soon.

Btw, the Austrian artist(s) PRINZGAU/podgorschek just finished the
video-documentary "sneaking in. donald richie's life in film" that will be
out next spring.

Roland Domenig
Institute of East Asian Studies
Vienna University