Eureka's look

MileFilms at aol.com MileFilms at aol.com
Sun Jan 14 07:41:45 EST 2001

In a message dated 1/14/01 4:46:31 AM, onogerow at angel.ne.jp writes:

<< Film.  But, as the press notes emphasize, it was done it "chromatic black
and white."  Sounds contradictory, but basically they took a black and
white negative and printed it on color print stock.  Apparently this
creates slight, sometimes unpredictable and barely noticeable shades of
color in some shadows, etc.  Aoyama and Tamura picked this over straight
monochrome (i.e., black and white negative printed on black and white
positive stock).

Aaron >>

Aaron, it definitely looked like B&W neg printed on color stock, but I doubt
any of it was unpredictable since a color print off a B&W neg would have a
blue or green tint. (Just look at any Wings of Desire print to see what
happens). It was definitely printed as sepia tone and no good lab would say
that anything about this process is uncontrolled, though of course, my
opinion of Japanese lab work is fairly low at times. The only color
variations I can think of would be on purpose or due to chemical stains.

I still think it's a wonderful film, nonetheless.

Dennis
Milestone Film & Video