Asian Invasion

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Wed Jan 17 20:19:48 EST 2001

>I'm suggesting that, whether
>conscious or not, "Asian invasion" is shorthand for cinema from newly
>ascendant economies.

I think Joe's onto something very interesting here, but there are two
short comments/questions I have.

One is that, during a conference in Fukuoka I was attending, Madhava
Prasad from India was trying to argue in a panel on Asian film melodrama
that melodrama was a local imagination in some ways resistant or
alternative to the more colonialist currency of realism (for example, the
Hollywood code of realism).  If we accept that argument, what does the
American appropriation of Asian melodrama imply?

Second, what is also interesting is that Japanese film, if it is being
consumed in the United States, is being consumed precisely as that
"postindustrial, postmodern" culture represented by anime and other cult
movie appropriations.  We can ask why Kehr (whom I fondly read way back
in the mid 1970s when he wrote for the Chicago Reader) did not include
this obvious popular invasion.  But we can also ask what different
processes are involved in this other kind of appropriation of Japan as
subculture.  This is precisely the question I raised back in November,
but no one responded (shiku shiku...).  Any one care to respond now?

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center
Yokohama National University