Asian Invasion

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow at angel.ne.jp
Thu Jan 18 09:04:27 EST 2001

>More importantly, a close look at anime fandom in the US will reveal that
>there are diverse pleasures being had there---relationships to textuality,
>to narrative and to drawing, that make the Techno-Orientalism take feel
>mechanical itself. There you go, Aaron.

Actually, my original query was also asking if the Techno-Orientalism
argument was sufficient.  Personally I don't think it is, because the
attractions of Japanese film are many times less technological than
subcultural--thus all the attention to pink films, horror flicks, Pulp
Japan, etc.  Think about Weisser, the Viz Communications books, etc.
Most of what's being published on non-anime Japanese film is in this
realm.  What's going on there?  What are the attractions of this Asian
invasion?

Aaron