Eureka's look

MileFilms at aol.com MileFilms at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 20:16:53 EST 2001

In a message dated 1/27/01 12:21:04 AM, junkotanaka at livedoor.com writes:
<< I'm just wondering (sorry this is a very basic question) whether film

processing and duplication are totally different matters. Also, if a

majority of new prints from Japan can be so bad, what about prints from

other countries in Asia or elsewhere?

After hearing all those stories from Dennis, it seems I still can't quite

get why a country that produces one of the two biggest film stocks has poor

reputations for its lab work. What makes a lab a good one - equipment,

skillful artisans, or something else? >>

Sorry, I didn't answer some of the questions you posed directly. First,
processing and duplication are usually different matters -- one is about the
proper changing, temperature and use of the chemicals, and the other is
timing (on the most part) and to a lesser degree, the chemical stuff.
Unfortunately, I haven't worked with many other Asian countries in the recent
past (we released seven Japanese films in a row at one point, and now we're
working with French and Italian labs. No reason. Just coincidence.).

A good lab changes it's chemicals frequently, keeps a clean environment,
knows what film stocks are right for each specific job, and most importantly,
have skilled timers who work with the director and cameraman to understand
the look of the film and produce exactly what they're looking for while
keeping the skin tones and color balance accurate -- unless the director is
trying for something else.

Surprisingly, there is little difference in film processing machines in the
last 100 years so equipment plays less part in it than you would think. It
really is the lab technician who plays the largest part in this. I have a
rule of thumb. If you complain about a section of a print (and I can tell the
difference between a lab mistake and a cinematographer's) and the technician
says

"That's the best that can be done with it. It's the negative's fault,"

I go out and get a different lab. It's the sign of a lazy technician.

All three labs I use for important work have responded in the past with "yes,
you're right. Let's try it until it's right." Those are the labs I'm willing
to pay extra for.

Dennis