Asian Invasion

Joseph Murphy urj7
Mon Jan 15 14:08:03 EST 2001

Markus wrote:
>Did anyone see the article in the Sunday New York Times? (Kehr, Dave. "In
>Theaters Now: The Asian Alternative." NYT (14 January 2001): sec 2, 1, 30.
>
>What did you think? The Asian Invasion they are talking about was mostly
>Chinese (HUGE color picture of Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung on the from
page), with Korea thrown in here and there. Japan was carted in half-way
through to represent history: Mizoguchi, Ozu, Kurosawa.

I noticed that right away too.  It's an anomaly, given the success of
Japanese film in the European festival circuit over the last 5 years.
My impression was that there was a framework of nostalgia behind the
article that couldn't accommodate Japan.  This "Asian Invasion"
consists of films that have a certain grandeur that Hollywood has
lost.  It is a place where "they still tell stories," and still have
big, broad emotions and still believe in fantasy and love, and that
American audiences are beginning to respond to this when all
Hollywood can deliver is product placement and soulless, postmodern
irony, and that the infusion of directors and actors is
reinvigorating Hollywood by reacquainting it with its own traditions.
The images in the article had a strong "classical" 1940's feel, the
heavy romance of "In the Mood for Love," the people dressed in
tuxedos from "Yi Yi."  Implicit is the idea that East and Southeast
Asia are places where there are still real economic, political and
social struggles, and these give rise to genuine emotions and
generous, expansive feelings that members of jaded postmodern
cultures can't produce anymore.  Japan's too close to the US
socioeconomically to work as an object of nostalgia this way.  The
Beatles were understood to have done the same thing: reacquaint a
listless American rock scene with its own culture and history.

Joseph Murphy
E-mail: <urj7 at nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu>
TEL: (352) 392-2110/2442. FAX (352) 392-1443
<http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/jmurphy>
University of Florida, Box 115565, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA