end of anime as we know it?

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Tue Jul 3 04:50:06 EDT 2001

>The effect of so much photo-realism may only serve to distance viewers, if
>we are to believe comic theorists like Scott McCloud, who says that the more
>basic and less realistic the character, the more projection from the
>audience and the empathy extended to the character. (Hence why Peanuts is
>more endearing than Prince Valiant--among other reasons, of course).

Teaching manga here at YNU, I use McCloud as a reference text, but I must
admit I find this contention of his hard to accept with regard to the
history and reception of manga in Japan.  The post-Tezuka history of
story manga in Japan--especially after gekiga--has definitely been one of
greater "realism" (an always contentious term), with certainly the
dominant style today emphasizing anatomical accuracy (though often in
order to destroy the body!).  Just witness Ishinomori Shotaro's shift
from Tezuka-like cartoon characters to the strict realism of Hotel and
Nihon keizaigaku nyumon.  It is true that an artist like Otomo used a
kind of photographic realism to, as Natsume Fusanosuke argues, render
human beings as equally objecs as his precisely drawn backgrounds, but I
have not found any evidence, however, that these realist manga are in
general less successful or draw less empathy from the readership.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center
Yokohama National University