... onegai shimasu

Miles Wood diabolik at netvigator.com
Thu Jul 12 02:04:33 EDT 2001

Stephen Cremin wrote:

> As I understand it, if you want UZUMAKI with subtitles then you must buy the
> DVD, not the VCD, and possibly the HK DVD at that.  And at US$5 each, and
> not knowing much about your personal taste, I'd put your US$20 on the table
> and buy all four VCDs.  There's a pretty diverse group of people on this
> list and you won't get a general agreement on the films you list.  But I'd
> say get SHARK SKIN MAN to see Asano's smile and Wakato Akira's hitman, get
> PERFECT EDUCATION to see Kojima Hijiri who has been playing too many
> supporting roles of late, get SENNEN TABITO for Toyokawa Etsushi who also
> needs some more leading roles, and TOMIE for Doguchi Yoriko and to see why
> we all disagree on its merits.

You really need the HK DVD of TOMIE as well, as the English subs on the VCD are
pretty hard to read at the best of times. If you're seriously interested in
contemporary Japanese cinema then frankly, for the ludicrously low prices that
you can get these films for on DVD from HK (all w/subs) you shouldn't really
need to think twice.

Miles