kim ki duk

rgatto at club-internet.fr rgatto at club-internet.fr
Sat Jul 14 05:49:02 EDT 2001

It might be interesting to have someone tell us about his interview experiences, informal meetings or friendship with Kim Ki Duk. He's quite a charming man on first acquaintance, in fact. But his military looks, nurtured by the cap he's got fixed  on his head, make him also quite intriguing.
I got to meet him twice, at the Venice Film Festival (where he got a NETPAQ mention for The Isle) and Rotterdam Film Festival. I interviewed him at the latter, but I didn't know his work so well and found it hard to get behind his façade. I found him very tough and adamant, but I feel there is also some kind of erratic boy behind all that.
Anyone is welcome to tell us more about this fascinating director.  I think I'll go see his new film. The Isle was already a great experience.

Robin