Toronto: Electric Dragon 80,000V

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp
Mon Jul 16 07:44:42 EDT 2001

This was shown at Rotterdam alongside Sogo Ishii's other screening for this
year, GOJOE. If you haven't seen it in Japan, its down to the fact that the
film is only 50 minutes long, so I'm not too sure in what format this will
be distributed. Mr Ishii didn't seem to know  either when we interviewed him
for Midnight Eye - the interview has yet to go up on site, but you'll be
able to get the full lowdown on the director's career and a review of the
film sometime within the next few weeks.
It's an absolute knockout film, anyway, and damn loud! Apparently the sound
editing took up far more time than the actual visuals, which are pretty
slick in themselves.
I don't think I can actually describe the film any better than it being the
equivalent of having 80,000 V run through the basal ganglia for 50 minutes.
Unforgettable, though I'd wish Rotterdam had treated us to a 12minute
Shiatsu Massage from Mr Ishii after, rather than before the screening...

Midnight Eye - japan_cult_cinema
www.midnighteye.com