KAIRO connections

Don Brown the8thsamurai
Mon Jun 4 01:16:33 EDT 2001

>Would anyone care to share more info on this book? I'm guessing an English
>translation would fall into the "extremely unlikely" category, along with
the
>Konuma book and far too many others.

His new book is called "Eiga wa Osoroshii", very loosely translated as
"Movies Are Scary".  Like his now out-of-print "Eizo no Karisuma", I
believe it's a collection of his essays and film criticism.  Can't comment
on it too much myself as I haven't bought it yet.  If your computer can
handle Japanese text (if not, PC users can always download a Japanese text
add-on from the Microsoft website), it's available on the Amazon Japan
website.
By the way, I'm still waiting for someone to write about Kiyoshi Kurosawa's
often neglected genius for economics and accounting.  A cursory search on
the Amazon website brings up several books edited by him including a
history of Japan's pre-war financial system and how to pass the Nissan
bookkeeping exam.  Can't wait for the movie version.  Imagine: Yakusho Koji
as a troubled accountant who meets a mysterious tax department official
played by Aikawa Sho, who's been hypnotized by the ghosts of dead yakuza
amnesiacs...
Don Brown