DVD/VHS prices

Tom Mes china_crisis
Wed Jun 13 00:09:36 EDT 2001

>in Japan the average price for first release DVDs is about 4,700 yen,
> >compared with 15,000 yen for VHS (?!).

Don,

Isn't the 13,000 to 15,000 yen price tag for rental VHS only? Meaning this
is the price a video rental shop owner has to pay for a cassette. This is
not so unusual at all, even in Europe for instance, where retailers pay
comparable prices for new release cassettes specifically for the rental
market.

Sell-thru VHS for consumers averaged around 3,700 yen last time I looked.
Which is still ridiculously high in my opinion, especially compared to DVD
prices. You'd be better off buying second-hand VHS for 500 yen a tape in the
side streets of Shibuya.

Tom