self-introduction & some questions

=%koi8-r?B?4czFy9PFyiDt1c7J0M/X?= zvezda23 at mail.ru
Fri Mar 23 17:23:41 EST 2001

Hello, nice to meet you all. I'm glad to join the list. I'm student/journalist from Moscow, Russia (so, please, excuse my English), and i'm in process of writing the diploma called "Theme of Death in Japan mass-culture", based entirely on japan film & animation of last twenty years (subjects that are most common to russian reseachers & viewers -- there are plenty of otaky in Moscow, and japan embassy did a good work in representing japan film industry to russians; other artefacts (i.e. manga books, pop music, etc.) are very hard to find -- and hard to analyse as well). And the language barrier is obviously exits -- I don't speak/read Japanese and neither most of russian critics/researchers are. So: films and the representation of death.

I failed to find any books devoted to this very theme, though a huge research by Maurice Pinguet "Voluntary Death in Japan" (Pinguet was a friend and close assosiate to Bart & Foucalt) proves to be rather useful. More or less, I need somehow  to describe the way japan films represents death-related things and to explain why they represent them this very way. Hard-to-do one, isn't it? I'm still in the beginning of the way, and got very few ideas about the subject (which I'll nevertheless post later), so any comments and suggestions for my work are highly appreciated.

Alexey Mounipov