codefree player for Japanese DVD?

wlt4 at mindspring.com wlt4 at mindspring.com
Wed May 2 10:20:07 EDT 2001

>Do you know who distributes switchable players?  Does that wear the >machine down quickly, though?

Sorry I don't.  The Apex company disabled most of the "hidden" functions in their players after the Hollywood studios complained; the machines are still sold and I think have a PAL/NTSC option but no longer any region choices.  There were some lower profile players with the same options (because these machines are based on computer DVD drives and not drives designed for home entertainment systems) but I can't remember the names but they're all pretty inexpensive, take-your-chances options (some Apex machines had heating and sound delay problems).  About "wearing down" I could be wrong but I think DVD players could be expected to have a life similar to a CD player, ie years and years of proper use.  Some will go earlier, some not.